What All Barbers Need to Know
If you are considering starting a new career as a barber, you may wonder what the responsibilities of this position include, what all barbers need to know in order to be successful, and what personal qualities are essential for barbering.
At Quality Barber College, our team works with every student that comes through our doors to ensure they are comfortable performing all needed tasks and handling all essential barber tools. This includes straight razors, barber shears, razor blades, and more.
Our goal is for every student we teach to go on and pass their state licensing exams and have successful careers. To learn more about what will be expected out of you as a barber read below.
The Job Duties of Barbers
Today’s barbers are experts at what they do, and the clients they serve expect it. Their work not only involves executing a precise haircut, but also performing any number of techniques to the face, scalp, beard, and mustache. Barbers trim, cut, shape, and taper hair using scissors, razors, clippers, and combs. They also often provide facial hair maintenance, custom shaves, and a number of grooming services, such as:
- Scalp, neck, and facial massages
Although not as common as the above procedures, some barbers even provide services such as:
- Applying hair tonics
- Applying lotions, powders, or other cosmetic preparations to the skin
- Coloring, bleaching, or straightening the hair
- Cutting, fitting, measuring, and forming head caps for wigs or hairpieces
In addition to performing hair and skincare services, the job duties of barbers are extensive, as they include:
- Performing client consultations
- Applying lotions and aftershave after shaving
- Applying hot towels to the face to open pores
- Using blow dryers to dry hair
- Cleaning up hair on the floor and around the workstation
- Stocking shelves with products and ordering products
- Checking out clients
- Cleaning and sterilizing tools and equipment, such as scissors, combs, and clippers
- Updating/maintaining client records
- Ordering supplies
The Qualities of Successful Barbers
Barbers must be well-equipped with not only the skills to perform their job, but a specific set of qualities. Specifically, barbers must possess:
- Excellent customer and personal service skills: Barbers must be knowledgeable about the principles and processes required for providing excellent customer and personal services. Therefore, barbers should be able to assess their clients’ needs; they must be able to meet quality standards for services; and they must be able to evaluate their customers’ level of satisfaction.
- Active listening skills: Barbers must be able to give their full attention to their clients, taking the time to understand their wants and needs and asking questions when necessary.
- Superb speaking skills: Barbers must be able to effectively communicate with their clients.
- The ability to reflect: Barbers must be able to assess their performance and make improvements or take corrective actions where necessary. They must also be able to assess their clients’ reactions and respond accordingly.
- Service-oriented skills: Barbers must always be service-oriented as to ensure they are providing their clients with the highest quality services.
The act of barbering requires possessing a number of physical skills, as well, including:
- Arm/hand control, stability
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Manual dexterity and strength (the ability to grip and manipulate tools)
- Finger dexterity (the ability to grasp and manipulate very small objects)
Other desirable qualities of a successful barber include being:
- Understanding and patience
Flexible Barber Classes in Houston, Texas
Our team understands that many of our students have families and jobs that make it difficult for them to be enrolled in school full time. This is why we have worked hard to provide the most flexible barber courses in Houston.
Every course we offer is accessible to individuals with families and careers because of our flexible scheduling and affordable rates. If you have been considering making a change and exploring new ways to use your barber skills, schedule a tour of our licensed barber school today.
We will answer any questions you have and provide you with a more in-depth explanation about the course while introducing you to instructors, showing you our facility, and letting you get a feel for the atmosphere of barbering.
Quality Barber College in Houston, TX
Quality Barber College has built a state-of-the-art facility that stands out from any other barber school in the area, setting the tone for the quality education we provide. We chose our location to make commuting easy for students throughout the Greater Houston area.
Our staff offers hands-on training to ensure every student gains the skills and knowledge they need to pass their state licensing exam and become a successful barber in Texas. We offer a range of courses for part-time and full-time students. These courses include Class A Barber classes, cosmetology to barber crossover classes, and barber instructor classes.
Quality Barber College proudly accepts students from all over the Greater Houston area including Alief, Fondren Houston, Hiram Clarke Houston, Meyerland, Missouri City, Pearland, Reliant/NRG, South Post Oak, Southwest Houston, Sugar Land, and other surrounding areas. If you are looking for a quality education without compromise, contact us today.
Quality Barber College
12363 S Main Street
Houston, TX 77035
View Google Business Listing